Fred Blogg actually preferred his Holden Statesman HQ de Ville.
- A purple zone road the place 5000 native bushes will probably be planted was named after the developer’s automobile.
- De Ville Place was named after the Holden Statesman HQ de Ville owned by Fred Blogg.
- Blogg additionally tried to call close by De Bloge Place after his household, however a typo crept in and he by no means corrected it.
What’s the connection between a Seventies Holden Statesman HQ de Ville automobile and an enormous native tree planting within the Christchurch purple zone?
The Perpetually Timber planting day on Sunday, July 3, supported by The Press, Timber That Rely and the Christchurch Metropolis Council, could possibly be Ōtautahi Christchurch’s largest-ever volunteer planting day.
Some 5000 native bushes will probably be planted within the former residential purple zone, alongside Lake Terrace Rd and De Ville Place in Burwood.
* Reward of native bushes will assist pollinate Christchurch orchards
* Ngāti Wheke’s plan for 2000 bushes will increase birdlife and group connection
* 1000’s of tōtara bushes to cloak southern Port Hills
* 10,000 bushes donated to the individuals of Ōtautahi Christchurch
* Christchurch is probably not as inexperienced and leafy as you assume
Elements of those streets have been purple zoned after the Christchurch earthquakes.
Fred Blogg was born poor in 1922 in Christchurch and polio affected one arm.
When he grew rich later in life, he and brother Bernard based the Blogg Charitable Belief, which assists deprived and disabled kids. It nonetheless donates way more than $100,000 a yr, principally to different charities akin to Cholmondeley Youngsters’s Centre.
He began out constructing footpaths, street repairs and sewers. “He did the digging himself, with a shovel, one good arm and hard-nosed stubbornness,” in keeping with his 2005 obituary in The Press.
Jasper and mum Kate estimate they should plant 30 bushes a yr to offset their household’s emissions, so the pair are enthusiastic about collaborating within the The Perpetually Timber planting day on July 3 the place 5000 native bushes will probably be planted in Christchurch.
Blogg Brothers Ltd grew into a significant participant in street development. It labored on the Princess Margaret Hospital web site and constructed Tunnel Rd linking Ferry Rd with the brand new Lyttelton Tunnel.
The Bloggs realised there was extra money in property growth. They developed a whole lot of sections, together with over 300 in a single space of Bromley, stated son Terry Blogg. They have been pioneers in underground wiring.
He was a automobile fanatic and was “all the time altering his vehicles”, Terry Blogg stated.
Holden’s Statesman HQ de Ville was a luxurious automobile. The HQ denotes the best spec model, which have been produced for only some years within the early Seventies. They have been V8s and low slung. They’re uncommon at this time.
A vendor in Australia needs about $50,000 for his or her 1973 HQ with 165,000km on the clock.
De Ville and De Bloge first seem in road directories in 1981, in keeping with the Christchurch place names listing maintained by Christchurch library.
If you want to hitch The Press Perpetually Timber planting day, please register at Eventbrite.