In 2019 Components 1 introduced our dedication to be Web-Zero Carbon by 2030 as a part of our wider Sustainability Technique. We set bold targets from “manufacturing unit to flag” and key members of our sporting neighborhood together with our Groups, Race Promoters, Companions, Suppliers, Broadcasters, the FIA and lots of extra are rising to the problem and are contributing to our carbon discount objectives.
F1 is growing a 100% sustainable gas, which might be utilized in F1 automobiles from 2026, according to the introduction of the next-generation hybrid engines – the drop-in gas has enormous potential to be adopted in highway automobiles globally.
With eight years to go, we’re racing in the direction of our goal and aiming to point out the following technology of followers how innovation and teamwork can deal with the challenges of our time.
After growing probably the most environment friendly hybrid engine on the planet, F1 can also be driving options for sustainable gas. In 2026, 100% sustainable gas might be launched to energy the next-generation hybrid engines in F1
The gas is already in growth with assist from key stakeholders inside F1 together with the FIA, Aramco – an F1 International Accomplice, gas suppliers within the sport, the F1 groups and producers.
While racing gas represents lower than 1% of our emissions, sustainable gas is the world the place F1 can have the best impact on the worldwide transportation sector
The gas has purposely been designed with a ‘drop-in’ function to assist speed up adoption and scale back prices to be used in current highway automobiles (each inner combustion engines and hybrids).
Since our Web Zero dedication, now we have taken a variety of actions to cut back our carbon footprint together with:
- Previously 3 years, now we have launched distant broadcast operations, which has enabled us to cut back freight
- Redesigned our freight containers that allow extra environment friendly plane for use
- Transitioned to 100% renewable vitality in our F1 workplaces
- Delivered our first carbon impartial broadcast manufacturing at Silverstone in 2021 and purpose to earn this accreditation once more in 2022 whereas making use of the teachings realized to additional races
- Achieved the very best Sustainability Administration accreditation awarded by the FIA (3* accredited)
- Issued steerage to all our Race Promoters to assist help them in finest follow when operating a sustainable occasion key areas resembling vitality, plastic & waste, wellbeing & nature and native fan journey
What’s to come back
Whereas now we have already made enormous modifications to create a extra sustainable sport, there may be nonetheless way more to come back:
- Taking motion to regionalise our calendar which is able to assist enhance freight and journey logistics – this might be an ongoing course of within the years to come back to make sure that we’re travelling effectively as a World Championship
- Exploring carbon discount measures for followers travelling to Components 1 occasions
- Working with F2 and F3 to trial sustainable fuels with their potential to check options at tempo
- Sharing the carbon discount actions from throughout our sporting neighborhood to make sure that everybody understands how the broader sport is coming collectively to set and obtain our Web Zero objectives
- Persevering with to modify to extra environment friendly logistics and journey preparations from air, sea, and land
- Persevering with to overview our processes because the requirements for carbon reductions evolve at tempo to make sure that we’re on the forefront of this key space
To search out out extra in regards to the science behind sustainable fuels and our most up-to-date ESG updates click on right here.